Sunday, February 8, 2009

So church today went well....

....Sacrament meeting was awesome, the topic was missionary work. I had the opportunity to hear some great testimonies from Elder Rodriguez, Elder Reeder, Kim Bascom (soon to be VanderVeen), Kristen Gardiner (formally Moya), and Austin Booth, who, I must say, is an amazing person to listen to about the gospel, I really feel the spirit each and every time he talks and or testifies of the gospel.

Then in Gospel Essentials we learned about the process and meaning of repentance. The most memorable part of the lesson is when Austin was asked to read 2 Nephi 2:13 "
And if ye shall say there is no law, ye shall also say there is no sin. If ye shall say there is no sin, ye shall also say there is no righteousness. And if there be no righteousness there be no happiness. And if there be no righteousness nor happiness there be no punishment nor misery. And if these things are not there is no God. And if there is no God we are not, neither the earth; for there could have been no creation of things, neither to act nor to be acted upon; wherefore, all things must have vanished away." When he was done Jen Andrade, someone in the ward who's first language was Spanish and who had a hard time retaining what she learns in English, asked him if he could read it again in Spanish, knowing Austin speaks Spanish. He read "Y si decís que no hay ley, decís también que no hay pecado. Si decís que no hay pecado, decís también que no hay rectitud. Y si no hay rectitud, no hay felicidad. Y si no hay rectitud ni felicidad, tampoco hay castigo ni miseria. Y si estas cosas no existen, Dios no existe. Y si no hay Dios, nosotros no existimos, ni la tierra; porque no habría habido creación de cosas, ni para actuar ni para que se actúe sobre ellas; por consiguiente, todo se habría desvanecido." and you could just see Jen's face begin to tear up. I know she's been going through a hard time with the gospel and is trying to be active again, and really feel this is how she needed to hear it, in her native language. I could just see the spirit flowing through her through out the rest of the lesson.

When the lesson was over Jen, still crying asked if Austin, along with Mike Smyth and Jamie Worland, if they could come and help teach Jen. Me being one of her home teachers was really excited to finally see the spirit in her THIS STRONG! So tonight we are going to have a lesson with her and just help her with what she needs, and right now I really think she just needs to hear someone teach her God's word in a way she's more familiar with.

Besides that great day at church, I just ate some grilled cheese sandwiches, that I made myself, and am now going to read for a wee bit. Then later we (My companion and the 3 who speak Spanish) are going to teach Jen.

I think it's kind of cool how everything I learn about the gospel in a day can really tie together at the end of the day, not just in church but anywhere, it's like God wants me to heed to certain things, and when I see it applied, I see it's importance and it's positive affect on people.

Pero si, I must do some reading now so I'll leave you with that.
~Matty

3 comments:

Maren Booth- Suze said...

Matt, You make me smile.

I hope that the lesson with Jen goes really well!

I hope you know that I personally see a lot of potential in you... you have no idea...

maybe I'll tell you about it sometime!

Have a wonderful night!

Maren :)

Maren Booth- Suze said...

ps. Becca was super freaked, i had to break it to her, I couldn't let her suffer... but only after I played with it a little bit.

Fatty.Matty said...

HAHA YES, playing along to creepy pranks like that is wicked awesome fun! Let me tell you.

Potential huh? Well, maybe I'd like you to tell me about it sometime!

But I'm glad I make you smile.

Chady ;)